Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a very healthy dhal made with methi leaves, toor dhal and spices...can be served with rice or chappathi. Is diabetic friendly!
- 1 bunch methi leaves
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 green chili peppers
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dhal masala
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 cup toor dal
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
dhal masala ingredients
- 1 pinch fenugreek seeds
- 1 pinch coriander seed
- 5 red chili
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- Dry roast and grind the dhal masala ingredients to powder.
- Heat oil and add asafetida and green chilli.
- Fry onions.then add tomatoes,dhal masala, turmeric, ginger-garlic paste.
- One the paste is ready, add methi leaves and toor dhal(both washed well).
- Add adequate water and pressure cook. add salt after the pressure is released.
- Decorate with cilantro and add lime juice if added.
Tried a little variation. Cooked the dal before hand & fried the methi leaves in a little oil separately & then added to the Dal..also adding a little aamchur ( dry mango ) powder in the end, enhances taste.
Overall a good recipe!