Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
Wonderful recipe and it's one of my favourites! I hope you enjoy this; really I do:)
Top Review by jedwards82
I made this dish tonight - my SO found this to be one of the best potato dishes he's ever had! We cook and eat lots of Indian food, so I take that as quite a compliment! Great recipe!
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 teaspoons kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 kg baby potatoes, washed and dried
For the masala paste
- 3 tomatoes, washed,peeled and chopped
- 3 onions, peeled,washed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled,washed and chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled,washed and chopped
- 2 green chilies, washed,ends trimmed and chopped
- 3 teaspoons red kashmiri chilies
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind together all the ingredients mentioned under'masala paste' and keep aside.
- Prick potatoes all over using a fork.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Once its hot, deep fry the potatoes in it until golden in colour.
- Drain on clean paper towels and keep aside.
- Heat oil or ghee in a skillet.
- Add cumin and mustard seeds alongwith asafoetida powder.
- Allow to splutter.
- Once they stop spluttering, add the ground paste and fry until the ghee or oil separates from the masala.
- Add kasoori methi, salt, pepper, potatoes and a little water.
- Stir well.
- Cover and cook on medium flame until the potatoes are tender and ready to eat.
- Serve hot with naan or paratha or kulchas.