Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This recipe is from the book, "Martha Stewart Cookies".
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 drop almond extract
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Scoop a spoonful of meringue onto a large oval soupspoon, and use another soupspoon to form meringue into the shape of a small egg.
- Spoon 12 ovals onto prepared baking sheet. Using a small offset spatula, pull out spikes of meringue, creatin a porcupine effect.
- Bake cookies until they are crisp on the outside but have marshmallow consistency inside, about 1 hour.
- Reduce oven to 175F, if meringue starts to brown.
- Remove from oven, and gently press the bottom of each meringue, so that it might be filled.
- Turn off oven, and return the porcupines to the oven to dry for 20 minutes.
- Then let cool completely, on wire rack.
- Put cream and almond extract in the chilled bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the wisk attachment, and mix on medium speed, until just stiff, about 2 minutes.
- Fill half the hollowed meringues with the filling, and the remaining halves with apricot preserves.
- Sandwich together.
- Serve immediately.