2 hrs 25 mins
This is not my recipe. It was conceived by Diane Heierli, an amazing cook, who develops recipes for the local bi-monthly magazine "Good Taste". I have not made it, but would like to save it for future refence. Those who are wary of raw egg yolks could, maybe, leave out the yolks. We do not have much worries about raw eggs in South Africa.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 egg whites (free-range, largest size)
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar (icing sugar)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (Maizena in South Africa)
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, ground (ground almonds might also do)
- cocoa powder, for dusting
- 1Preheat oven to 400 deg F/ 200 deg Celsius.
- 2Beat egg whites until stiff and then gradually add confectioner's/icing sugar and beat until thick and glossy.
- 3Fold in the cornflour and ground hazelnuts (or almond flour).
- 4Draw 2 x 7 inch/about 6 inch circles on 2 pieces of baking paper. Divide meringue mixture between them, and spread neatly with a knife.
- 5Bake for 2 hours or until meringues are crisp. Turn off oven, open door very slightly, and allow meringues to cool in oven.
- 6CHOC MOUSSE: Place the broken chocolate and cream in a double boiler. If you are a dab hand at this, merely use a thick-bottomed smallish pot. Heat gently, stir until smooth, and allow to cool down.
- 7Separate the eggs. Add egg yolks and stir until well combined.
- 8Whisk the 2 egg whites until soft peaks form, and fold into chocolate mixture. Fold in cream, and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- 9Place one meringue carefully on a cake plate. Spread with the mousse and top with the remaining meringue.
- 10Refrigerate for 3 - 4 hours or until mousse sets. Dust with cocoa before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meringue Cake With Chocolate Mousse Filling
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 637.9
- Calories from Fat 529
- Total Fat 58.8 g
- Saturated Fat 30.3 g
- Cholesterol 106.2 mg
- Sodium 108.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 17.7 g