Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My SIL had a family friend's recipe and lost it so many times. She got to the point where she was too embarrassed to keep calling her friend for it. She used her memory and searched for other recipes like it and this is what it has evolved into! Merill said in the summer, she makes it on her grill in a foil pan but then adds more liquid. Also, you can use Splenda brown sugar if you wish. This is a sweet and tangy recipe.
- 5 -6 lbs beef brisket
- garlic powder, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can French onion soup
- 1 (1 ounce) package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine, dry
- 2 -3 onions, sliced, enough to line bottom of roasting pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice onions and spread in the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Season the meat with garlic powder, salt and pepper, to taste and place on top of the layer of sliced onions in the roasting pan.
- Blend the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl and pour over the meat.
- Cover pan, or if there is no cover, make a foil tent and vent it with slits.
- Bake for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove the meat to a cutting board and slice against the grain. Serve with the sauce.