1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
One of my favourites, based on a recipe I found in Food that Really Schmecks (written by Edna Staebler). This is supposed to be plain old-fashioned comfort food, in case you're wondering about the lack of seasonings. It's wonderful when you just want something homey. Feel free to experiment with veggies; I've used green beans once, plus I add celery sometimes. This is a real treat particularly for dumpling lovers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb stewing veal, cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1/4 lb button mushroom, cleaned and halved
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into coins (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1In a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- 2Add veal and onion (and carrot if using) to pan and let veal brown just a little bit; add mushrooms and continue to cook for 2 or 3 minutes more.
- 3Season with salt and pepper and stir.
- 4Cover veal entirely with boiling water and turn heat down to a simmer; let simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until veal is tender.
- 5Make egg dumplings: In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients together, then add melted shortening or margarine, beaten egg and just enough milk to make a moist, stiff batter.
- 6Drop/plop dumplings onto simmering mixture with large spoonfuls and cover tightly with lid.
- 7Turn heat up to medium-high and let simmer for 15 minutes, DO NOT PEEK.
- 8After 15 minutes, remove lid and take pot off heat, cover with parsley, and serve at table straight from pot.
- 9Variation: Remove dumplings to serving bowl, using a slotted spoon remove veal and veggies to a serving bowl, then thicken broth as you would gravy and serve on the side; I usually don't bother though: if you want it a little thicker, shake veal pieces in flour before you brown them.
- 10Variation#2: Add a big handful of frozen peas just before you add dumplings to the pot.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mennonite Veal With Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 471.7
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 112.0 mg
- Sodium 1051.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 18.0 g