Prep 4 hrs
Cook 7 mins
These are the best rolls you will ever eat. My MeMaw had 9 children and plenty of grandchildren...we couldn't wait to get to her house for some homemade fried chicken and rolls. I recently made these for my husband and kids...my kids sneaking rolls outside to their friends...now the neighborhood mothers are calling me asking me about these AWESOME rolls. It looks like alot of cooking time, but really it's just a few minutes to prepare, and the other time is just the time it takes them to rise. Belive me...it's well worth the time.
- 2 cups warm water (not hot)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast (or one packet)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups flour
- In a mixing bowl, stir in yeast and 1 cup of warm water until the yeast dissolves. Add the other cup of water.
- Add shortning, sugar and salt. Stir vigorously and mash the lumps of shortning against the side of the bowl as you sift in the flour one cup at a time.
- Stir until the dough is firm.
- Smooth down and cover with cloth or lid - let rise until double in size ( about 1-1/2-2 hours). DO NOT GET TOO WARM OR SIT ON A HOT STOVE TOP.(I turn my oven on 250 for ONE minute, then turn it OFF -- and let them rise in the warm oven).
- When dough has doubled dump out onto a floured board or coutertop, knead lightly until you can cut or pinch into rolls.
- Place in a greased pan and let rise again, approximately 1-1/2 - 2 hours. Cook until browned, brush with butter and eat.
A delight! Thank you for posting this recipe, these rolls were wonderful....just like the ones at a restarant in town makes, only better. I will be keeping this one! Pac-Fall07