Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an adapted recipe from one my mother used to make. My favorite part of meatloaf was always the tangy candied topping. I hope you like this version.
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 10 3⁄4 ounces Campbell's condensed tomato soup
- 4 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 cup instant oatmeal
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup tomato ketchup
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 8 x 4 x 2 1/2 inches glass loaf pan.
- Knead together the ground chuck and ground turkey, tomato soup (do not add water), dried minced onion, the oatmeal, the egg, and salt and black pepper.
- Mold the meat mixture into a loaf to fit your pan.
- Place the meatloaf in 350 degree oven for 50 minutes.
- Carefully remove the meatloaf and turn off the oven. Drain any access fat immediately if you wish.
- Stir together the ketchup and brown sugar and use it to glaze the top of the meatloaf.
- Return the meatloaf to the oven under a 500 degree broiler (or high setting) for 5 to 8 minutes. Watch carefully as it will burn quickly once the topping begins to caramelize.
- Remove when browned to your liking, let stand about 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
I made this for a Welcome Home supper for my children, meatloaf is DD1s favourite! Very good and very easily prepared, I used ground chicken rather than turkey since it is more easily available here. It sliced very well, was soft, tender with good flavour, and I suspect the little that was left has already been eaten as breakfast! Served with katews Sour Cream and Chive Potato Bake, this was a veritable feast, thank you I<3 Cookbooks! Made for Aus/NZ swap#36