Recipe by Pam-I-Am
This is a fancy and spicy grilled cheese sandwich made in the monte cristo style. Use your favorite pepper-jack cheese to spice this sandwich up. Makes a great lunch with a mug of soup.
Top Review by Kumquat the Cat's friend
This was better than five stars! I don't believe I ever ate a real monte cristo. I loved the idea of dipping the bread in egg. It tasted like a savory french toast. The salsa was an excellent foil to the sandwich (which might normally be a little heavy for my taste). I loved the jack pepper cheese on this, and I loved the way the cilantro stuck to the bread too! Unfortunately my slices of cheese were a bit too thin, next time I would add more. I made one sandwich as a mid-afternoon snack for me and my BF and he loved it too. As for the bread, I used a firm whole wheat. I'd love to make this again!
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb monterey jack pepper cheese, sliced
- 8 slices bread (choose a firm bread)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- In a shallow dish, lightly beat the eggs with 1/4 cup water, salt and pepper. Stir in the cilantro.
- Make 4 sandwiches by layering the cheese between the slices of bread.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter. Dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- Cook each sandwich over medium heat until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Cut each sandwich in half and serve with a side of salsa.