Recipe by **Jubes**
An Italian style meatball in tomato sauce. For gluten-free option use gluten-free bread and tomato puree. Can also use an Italian style tomato pasta sauce in this recipe such as Bertolli's Provisto Sugo. Either ground/minced chicken or beef can be used for this recipe. The meatballs can be either pan-fried or deep fryed
Top Review by lazyme
Yum! This was so simple and so good. I used asiago cheese and served these over spaghetti with a side salad and garlic bread. Thanks Jubes for a nice dinner. Made for ZWT7 for the Emerald City Shakers.
For the Meatballs
- 500 g ground chicken (chicken or beef mince) or 500 g ground beef (chicken or beef mince)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese or 3 tablespoons asiago cheese, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 slices bread, finely crumbed (use gluten-free if needed)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
For the Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 700 ml tomato puree or 700 ml bottled italian style pasta sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a large mixing bowl- add the minced chicken or beef, the egg, cheese, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add the crumbed fresh bread and milk and mix until well combined. You can use a food processor to just add the bread and milk and process until well mixed.
- Add the bread/milk mixture to the chicken or beef mix. Combine well.
- Refrigerate the meatball mixture for 30 minutes.
- Using damp hands, shape the meatball mixture into about 25 small balls.
- Fry the meatballs using a medium heat and then drain them on absorbent kitchen paper. I like to pan-fry mine.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and cook the shallots for about 1 minute. Add the tomato puree and bring to the boil. Add the meatballs and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Stir occassionally.
- Serve hot with some cooked pasta.