Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
An appetizer or main dish. Fantastic
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix (I use lipton)
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) jar chili sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) jar water
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mix well.
- Make meatballs small, place in a roasting pan or 13X9 casserole dish.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour over meatballs.
- Bake at 350, uncovered for 2 hours.
- When I make these ahead of time, I reheat in a crockpot on high for 4 hours, but make extra sauce to keep them moist and delicious.
I love this recipe and had lost it. Thank you so much for posting it. For those who have never tried it, you don't really taste the kraut but it is esential to this recipe. Thanks again for posting.
I'd looked for this crazy recipe for a long time. Thanks for making it available. This stuff is a real crowd pleaser.
Suzette, these meatballs were so delicious! However, I did modify this recipe to my liking. I used Italian style bread crumbs, and added several large dashes of black pepper to the meat mixture. I shaped them into 26 (1-1/2 inch) meatballs, placed them on a greased jelly roll sheet, and baked them in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. As for the cranberry-sauerkraut sauce, I used bagged sauerkraut (from one 32 oz. bag), which I drained (squeezed) off the liquid, then added half of the kraut to the mix. I also increased the amount of brown sugar to exactly 1-1/2 cups, plus added 1 (16 oz.) can of jelled cranberries. I then covered the baking pan, and baked the meatballs for exactly 30 minutes. After thirty minutes of baking time, I then uncovered the baking pan, placed them back in the oven, and continued baking the meatballs for exactly 35 minutes. I served the meatballs with hot-cooked mashed potatoes. Suzette, thank you for sharing this recipe, it's definitely a keeper!