Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my gran's recipe--very yum!
- 1 lb mincemeat
- 3⁄4 cup raisins or 3⁄4 cup sultana
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 slices bread (thick slices)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 425 g pineapple
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (roughly)
- Soak raisins for 2 hours in hot water.
- Soak bread briefly in milk--squeeze then flake into mince.
- Add the egg.
- Drain raisins (reserving water) and add the mixture.
- Shape into balls and brown in oil and butter.
- Transfer to casserole dish.
- Place water from which the raisins were soaked plus the juice from the tin of pineapple pieces, brown sugar, tomato sauce, soya sauce, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to gentle simmer to amalgamate flavours.
- Thicken with cornflour.
- Add pineapple pieces.
- Pour over meatballs.
- Cover with foil.
- Cook 1 - 1 1/4 hours at 350°F.
- We serve it with rice and not pasta.