Recipe by Ms B.
I recently adopted this recipe and prepared it with a few slight changes. The meatballs are very basic, and if you desired, you could jazz them up with additional seasoning. The original recipe included 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, but I thought that might be a little bland. Instead, I tried the cream of celery and really liked the bit of added flavor. We served this over wide egg noodles and with steamed green beans for a great comfort meal, but the meatballs would also be good over mashed potatoes, or even served with toothpicks as an appetizer. I like that the meatballs can be made ahead of time, and dropped into the heating sauce at meal time.
Top Review by ChefDYC
The meatballs were fine but the cream of celery-based sauce didn't do a thing for me. It never really came together, it was just meatballs sitting in a puddle of soup. I have yet to find a meatballs-in-white-sauce recipe I like...
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- For Meatballs-Mix all meatball ingredients together, make into tsp size balls, and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes (I usually start preparing the sauce about 15 minutes into the meatballs baking).
- For Sauce-Mix soup, milk, and nutmeg in saucepan and stir until all mixed together; add meatballs and heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and heat through.