1/2 Photos of "meat-Ralf" Makeover
1 hr 20 mins
I came up with this recipe while working at a small town restaurant. I hated even the idea of, as my mom calls it, "Meat-Ralf" but the owner wanted to add it to our menu. I set out on a mission to create an edible meatloaf. To the delight of our patrons it wasn't only edible it was delicious. Even my mom loves it. For a gourmet twist I substitute ground sausage with slices of Italian sausage links, also diced canned tomatoes and fresh basil leaves instead of tomato sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground sausage
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup cream or 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce, hold 1/3 can for top
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to your taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder or 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Mix ground meats together until blended well. If using Italian sausage slices brown first and add last to keep them from falling apart.
- 3Mix egg, cream, and 1/2 cup tomato sauce (or diced tomatoes and fresh basil) together then mix into meat. Using your hands seems to be the easiest way, don’t forget to wash and remove your rings.
- 4Add breadcrumbs, finely minced garlic and onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Don't be afraid to use the cayenne powder its not enough to burn you and it really gives the dish a lot of flavor. Mix well.
- 5Form into a large loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour, top with remaining tomato sauce or ketchup, dust with salt and sugar, and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
- 6You can use 2 small loaf pans if you reduce the baking time by 15 minutes.
- 7Serve with your favorite fresh veggie or garlic mashed potatoes.
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "meat-Ralf" Makeover
Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 955.6
- Calories from Fat 611
- Total Fat 67.9 g
- Saturated Fat 26.5 g
- Cholesterol 283.9 mg
- Sodium 2197.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 56.0 g