Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Makes 8 half pockets. From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken or 2 cups cooked pork or 2 cups cooked beef or 2 cups cooked seafood
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts or 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions with tops, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded part-skim farmer cheese or 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 whole wheat pita bread
- lemon wedge
- In medium bowl, combine meat or seafood, lettuce, sprouts, tomato, green onion and cheese.
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine oil, vinegar, parsley, basil, oregano, garlic powder, mustard, sugar and pepper.
- Shake well and toss with meat and vegetables.
- Cut pockets in half and spoon mixture into bread.
- Garnish each with a lemon wedge.