Recipe by Judith N.
Talk about one dish - comfort food... Here you go! This is a staple in our house! RJ couldn't live with out it!
Top Review by nkoprince08
I made this tonight for dinner and it was great!! My husband and I both loved it!! I used ground beef for the 1 lb. meat and we decided to use sliced up turkey pepperoni for the sausage links as we had some we needed to use up. Other than using orange pepper instead of green we pretty much followed the recipe. Thanks for posting!!
- 1 lb chopped meat
- 2 pork sausage links
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper
- 6 -8 mushrooms, sliced lengthwise
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- grated cheese
- garlic salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil sausage links 15 minutes.
- Drain and brown in small amount of oil on all sides.
- Cool and slice into rings; set aside.
- Cook bacon in large skillet until well done.
- Remove and drain on paper towels and crumble; set aside.
- Reserve some of bacon fat and add peppers, mushrooms and onions.
- Cook 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped meat and cook another 10 to 15 minutes, while mixing and breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- Add crumbled bacon and cooked sausage links; season to taste with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic salt and grated cheese.
- Cook 10 to 15 minutes more.
- While meat mixture is cooking, peel and boil the potatoes until done.
- Mash and season with butter, milk, salt and pepper.
- Lightly grease a 9" pie plate or quiche dish.
- Fill the dish with the meat mixture and then top evenly with the mashed potato mixture.
- Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 15 minutes.
- (I like to slide it under the broiler for a couple of minutes just to really give the top a golden brown).
- Serve with a rich golden brown gravy and you are in heaven!