Prep 20 mins
Cook 28 hrs
This recipe is from my friend May and it is really super . The 3 hour simmer infuses the meat balls with the tomatoe spice etc flavor. Then leaving them sit in the fridge gets rid of any grease that may have cooked out of the meat. The great thing is you make them in advance and can freeze them If you wish make them larger and serve as your meat for dinner
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- vegetable oil cooking spray, for pan
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 (750 ml) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean hamburger
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup cracker crumb (soda crackers are good)
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 2 eggs
- Spray a non stick skillet with veggie oil.
- Saute the onion until transparent.
- Add sugar, lemon juice& tomatoe sauce, heat to simmering stage.
- Mix remaining ingredients and form walnut sized meatballs- do not brown the meat balls.
- Drop the balls into the tomato sauce and simmer for 3 hours covered.
- Place in the fridge overnight.
- Next day remove any fat.
- You may now reheat& serve or freeze the meatballs for future use.
Everyone loved the meatballs. I like the flavor and texture of the meatballs and can not wait to try them in my spaghetti sauce. I would add a little garlic and/or grated onions to them. There were different opinions on the sauce. Half of us thought it was too sweet and the other half loved it. We made meatball sandwiches out of them. The whole recipe would make a good cocktail meat ball. We are going to try the remaining sauce over a meatloaf tomorrow.