Top Review by Mark H.
This was the first time I ever made a sweet potato pie and i must say it was quite easy. I peeled and steamed the sweet potato rather than boiling. The nuts were a nice addition. Although I followed the recipe exactly, I ended up with enough filling for one deep dish crust and one regular crust. Oh well, more pie is never a bad thing. Thanks for the recipe...
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiled peeled and mashed sweet potatoes (about 3 medium-size)
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 9" unbaked pie shell
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, evaporated milk, corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, salt and spices.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and frothy.
- Stir in the pecans.
- Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shell and bake for 15 minutes at 400°F.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking until cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Let pie cool before serving.
- Delicious with or without whipped cream.