Prep 12 mins
Cook 13 mins
Easier and a lighter version of traditional Schnitzel. Credited to Maureen Clancy in Cooking Light magazine.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 lemon wedges (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place chicken breasts between 2 sheets of heavy plastic wrap and pound to 1/2" thickness.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place flour in shallow dish.
- Combine egg and mustard in another shallow dish.
- Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, chives and garlic in another shallow dish and mix to blend.
- Dredge each chicken breast in flour; then in egg mixture; then in breadcrumb mixture to coat evenly.
- Heat olive oil in heavy ovenproof skillet over MED-HI heat.
- Saute chicken on one side until browned about 2 1/2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; and turn chicken to place unbrowned side down in skillet.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes or until chicken is done and browned on underside.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Spot-on! DH says it is the best mustard chicken dish he'd ever eaten--and this feeling is shared by myself and DS. Just great. Used Grey Poupon country dijon, and left out the chives and parsley 'cos i didn't have any in the house. Wow. I wish so bad there were leftovers, as I am still wanting just one more bite! Thank you, Caroline Cooks!
Great chicken! This was quick, and produced very moist, tender chicken with a lot of flavor. Thanks for a really nice weeknight dinner!
We really enjoyed this chicken! It was messy, but overall, easy and quick to make. I subbed Kraft parm cheese (sorry!) and dried herbs and it was still great. Served with garlic mashed potatoes, salad and peas, it made for a great supper! Thanks so much for posting! I will definitely make again!