Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great for Passover. Serve with browned butter or other sauce as a side dish. To use in soups, just boil in the soup broth instead of water. You can make the potatoes in advance and keep them cooled in the fridge. Adapted from New Settlement Cookbook.
- 3 cups potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup matzo meal
- 1 dash nutmeg (optional)
- 1 large pot of boiling salt water
- Boil and rice the potatoes then cool them.
- Add eggs, salt, matzo meal, and nutmeg - if using to the potatoes and mix well.
- Knead mixture until smooth.
- Place a teaspoon of dough in the boiling water. If it falls apart, add more matzo meal.
- Shape into a long thin snake and cut into bite-sized pieces. Don't make them too big or they won't cook through.
- Place into the boiling water, making sure they stay separated.
- Cook until they rise to the top. This time will vary depending on the size of your dumplings.
- Once risen, cook 3 minutes more until the middle is cooked.
- Drain and serve.