1/1 Photo of Matt's Crusty Home Fries
These are tasty home fries, with a nice crispy crust. Like the way you get them at your favorite breakfast spot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Roughly chop onion into wide pieces - I like inch wide slices, cut into about sixths.
- 2Chop pepper into similar size pieces, discarding stem and seeds.
- 3Heat about three tablespoons oil in large frying pan (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat.
- 4Add onions, cook until golden and slightly transparent, about three minutes.
- 5Add peppers, cook until tender, about an additional two or three minutes.
- 6Peel and cube potatoes; I like them about 3/4" square. Add them and additional tablespoon or two of oil to frying pan.
- 7Add salt and pepper (preferably freshly ground) to taste.
- 8Cook, stirring frequently and then patting back down, until tender and cooked through and slightly golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- 9Stir one more time, and pat down to maximize surface area in contact with frying pan. Increase heat to high, and cook WITHOUT stirring to get a great crust, about an additional 5-8 minutes.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Matt's Crusty Home Fries
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.3
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1179.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 5.3 g