Recipe by Brenda.
This recipe comes from islandteashop.com. I love finding new ways to incorporate Matcha Green Tea into everyday foods. http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=125553
Top Review by silversmile120790
This recipe was excellent! I did make some changes though. Instead of buying matcha powder, I used a mortar and pestle to grind up green tea leaves, and used a few tablespoons. I also used brown sugar instead of white to make the cookies moist, and added about a teaspoon of milk. I made a honey-green tea icing to top them, and the family keeps asking for more, although they doubted the "weird cookies" at first. Thanks so much!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl,combine flour, Matcha powder, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar, beat in the egg yolks.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Cover and chill for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets, or line with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch.
- Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut out cookies and place 1 inch apart onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly colored.
- Sprinkle granulated sugar over the hot cookies and transfer to wire racks to cool.