Recipe by Bonnie bonbon
This is a lemonade-based fast prescribed for detoxification and weight loss. I found it when I was looking to detox my body. It was presented to me by a highly regarded holistic nurse, Sandra Duggan, who is one of the co-founders of the Cayce-Reilly School of Massotherapy at the ARE. According to the book she gave me, this is a healthy way to fast because between the lemons and the maple syrup you get all the micronutrients you need to sustain the body. Grade B syrup has higher contents of those macronutrients so use it if you can find it. Also, organic lemons are best. You can leave out the cayenne if you are spice-averse; its role is to help break up toxic deposits within the body. The citrus can do that as well; the cayenne just helps it go faster. It would be well to get a colonic during the time of your fast in order to aid along the detox/weight loss process. I used the fast for 2 days and lost 10 lbs that week (though weight loss was not my goal). Use this fast with spiritual goals in mind and you can achieve great results.
Top Review by Netgirl's Healthy Cookbook
I drink this because it is very good for one's liver (and other organs) and also tastes delicious. The original recipe calls for one to put the juice, syrup, and 1/10 teaspoon cayenne pepper in a 10-ounce glass and fill with medium hot water, although cold water may be used if preferred. Some have interpreted a 10-ounce glass to mean 8 ounces of actual water. I use 10 drops of liquid cayenne pepper drops.
The recipe for a 60 oz. (daily) serving is:
60 ounces of filtered water
12 Tablespoons (6 ounces) of organic grade B maple syrup
12 Tablespoons (6 ounces) of organic lemon juice
1/2 Teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
One reviewer mentioned that honey can be substituted for the maple syrup. The original book states "honey must NOT be used at any time internally. It is manufactured from the nectar picked up from the flowers by the bees, pre-digested, vomited and stored for their own future use with a preservative added. It is deficient in calcium and has many detrimental effects for the human being."
Other recommendations are to keep it in a glass jar and also to rinse your mouth with water after each glass to prevent tooth enamel damage.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons lime juice (1/2 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons of pure grade b maple syrup or 2 tablespoons a maple syrup
- 1 -2 pinch cayenne pepper, to taste (red)
- 12 ounces of purified water (very warm)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut up some (preferably organic) lemons or limes.
- Heat up your water (I just zap it in the microwave for 90 seconds).
- Squeeze lemon/lime juice into the warm water (try to avoid getting seeds in your water-- I use a tea filter).
- Sprinkle a little cayenne powder in and stir in your maple syrup.
- Drink this several times a day when you get hungry or thirsty (ok to alternate with pure water but not much else).
- Use this as an exclusive food for 2-30 days, as you deem appropriate.