Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Don't be daunted by the list of ingredients, this is surprisingly simple. If you have any paste left over it can be stored in a screw top jar for up to 3 weeks
- 750 ml coconut milk
- 400 g potatoes, in chunks
- 50 g roasted peanuts, crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons water
- 75 g brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 cloves
- 6 small red chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 inch gingerroot, peeled and chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- First make the paste. Crack the cardamom pods and remove the seeds. Dry fry the seeds with the cumin, cloves and coriander for 2 minutes Place these in a processor and grind, add all the other paste ingredients and process until they come together as a paste.
- Heat the coconut milk in a large pan and add 2 tbsp of the paste. Mix and heat until simmering.
- Turn down heat and add spuds to cook for 6 minutes.
- Add peanuts, onion, water sugar and salt, stir well until all ingredients are mixed and dissolved.
- Simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Serve with rice or naan bread.