Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Definitely NOT for those watching their calorie intake!
- 4 medium bitter melons, washed and cut into 1 inch size pieces
- 4 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 onions, sliced into wafer thin pieces
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal
- 2 tablespoons curry leaves
- 1⁄2 cup tamarind juice
For the masala
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh coconut, grated
- 7 red chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- In a broad heavy pan, pour the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds, urad dal, 1 tablespoons.
- of curry leaves and fry well.
- Add the onions and bittergourd.
- Fry for 5 minutes or so till it is reddish in colour.
- Add the green chillies, tomatoes and salt to taste.
- Fry for another 3 minutes.
- In the meantime, fry the ingredients of the masala with 1 tablespoons.
- of curry leaves in a wok without oil in low heat.
- When the masala becomes red in colour, cool it and make it into a paste by just sprinkling water in a mixer.
- Add the ground masala into the pan when the tomatoes are cooked.
- Add the tamarind juice, check the salt and add 2 cups of water to the pan.
- Cover the pan tightly and simmer on low flame.
- After 15-20 minutes, when you open the pan, you will see the oil floating on the vegetable.
- Switch off the gas, serve hot with rice/rotis alongwith raita.