Recipe by The Catt Family
Great for halloween, decorating cakes or ghoulish treats. Inspired by Lily Vanilli's Zombie Ate My Cupcake! book, these are our slightly simpler version (if such a thing as making bugs out of marzipan is possible to be simpler).
- 140 g marzipan
- black food coloring
- edible luster dust, various colours
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix black food colouring into the marzipan, this will take some time and turn everything your touch black.
- Cut or break marzipan into beetle sized lumps.
- Roll each lump into a elongated ball, about an inch long.
- Flatten slightly until roughly bug shape.
- Make groove in the bug to make it look like an egyptian scarab beetle.
- Dab a small brush into the Edible Luster and then wipe most of it off on a kitchen tissue, then brush the wings/shell of the beetle.
- Add a second colour if you want a shimmering beetle effect.
- Optional; roll some marzipan into tiny sausage, which are going to be the legs.
- Cut the tiny sausages into 3 shorter sausages, enough to sit under the beetle and poke out each side.
- Layout legs, stick beetle on-top, carefully wait to harder a bit before moving.