Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an old fashioned recipe, that makes a nice heavy and moist cake. A way for you to get your quota of fruits and nuts for the day.
- 4 cups grated apples (unpeeled)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 cup chopped nuts (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour, unsifted
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Place the grated apples in a large mixing bowl. Break the eggs over the apples. Add the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, oil and nuts.
- Mix well with a fork. Sift in the flour, salt, baking soda and mix well with fork again.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour in a sheet pan.
I had a craving for something warm and apple nutty. I changed a couple of things. I used 1 cup of white and 1 cup of brown sugar. Also, I used 1/3 cup of oil and 3 Tablespoons of unsalted butter. More cinnamon and nutmeg too. I could smell the aromas mixing within 50 minutes and could have taken it out then. Great quick cake for a cold winter day.