Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
My uncle jealously guarded this recipe for the longest time, so my aunt smuggled it out of the house for my mom and me. It's one of my favorite recipes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 ounce yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind or 1 teaspoon extract
- 6 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat milk just to boiling. Stir in butter, sugar and salt. Let cool.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Mix milk mixture with beaten eggs, lemon and flour. Add yeast. Let rise twice and turn out to knead about 8 minutes. Do not add to much flour during kneading as it will make for a tough dough.
- Cut into balls ( 48 balls for small kolache and 24 balls for large). Flatten balls on baking sheet and make an indent for filling in the center of each. Fill each with your favorite filling-I like Poppy seed and Cherry but almost any pie filling will work.
- Sprinkle topping over all and let rise again.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.