Grandmother made these for years and would ration them out to the kids when they were growing up like they were gold. When the grandkids came along they all ways had a pocket full when they left Grandma house. Funny how that works.
- Mix sugar, Karo and salt. Place over high heat stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium, stir constantly to cook to hard ball stage .
- Add butter and milk very slow, so that mixture does not stop boiling at any time .
- Stir constantly and cook to soft ball stage.
- Mixture is thick and burns easily at the last.
- Remove from heat,add vanilla and nuts pour into a buttered pan.
- Cool before cutting into bite size pieces and wrap with wax paper.