Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love flan and this recipe looks super easy. From Everyday with Rachel Ray.
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, 1 cup sugar, the salt and lime zest and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a medium skillet, melt the remaining 1 cup sugar over medium heat.
- Cook until light golden, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the caramel into a 9-by-3-inch round cake pan and swirl it around the bottom to coat.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until just combined, then stir in the cooled milk mixture; strain.
- Pour the custard over the caramel and set the pan in a large roasting pan.
- Add 1 inch hot water to the roasting pan and bake the custard until set, about 11/4 hours.
- Remove the custard from the roasting pan and let cool completely on a wire rack; cover and refrigerate until chilled, 6 hours or overnight.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a serving plate.