Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a nice easy cake. Depending on whether you use a cookie sheet or a baking pan the crust can be made more cakelike or cookielike. I got this recipe from a neighbor of mine years ago and it's a big hit with my familly. Usually we use apples but it also works with peaches or any other fruit like peaches or pears, plums and apricots.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 tablespoons water
- apples (Fresh Fruit of your choice) or peaches (Fresh Fruit of your choice) or pears (Fresh Fruit of your choice) or plums (Fresh Fruit of your choice) or apricot (Fresh Fruit of your choice)
- cinnamon sugar (for sprinkling on top)
- butter (for dotting on top)
- Sift the flour with the sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add 6 Tablespoons of the butter or margarine and cut in.
- Add the egg beaten with 3 tablespoons of water (you are beating the egg and water together) mix to form a dough.
- Pat the dough with your hands into greased baking pan; for a cakelike crust use a 13 x 9 inch pan; for a cookielike crust, pat into a cookie sheet that has a small rim (some cookie sheets today are totaly flat not sure they would work, the older cookie sheets had a 1/4 inch rim all the way around).
- Slice fruit in half moon shape and make slightly overlapping rows until pan is full.
- The rows will look like this (((((((((((((.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar (I usually make my own, just mix white sugar with cinnamon to taste) and dot with butter.
- Bake at 375ºF for 40 minutes or until fruit is done.
This was quick and easy, but I had some problems with it. As I think I may have caused them myself by incorrect scaling, I will not give stars. I decided (without much thinking) that 3/4 of the recipe should be right for 2 9-inch square pans, but I think now I should have at least made the whole batch. As a result, the crust part was really too thin. I may also have put too many slices of apple on the top, as the crust in the middle had not cooked though when the edges were ready. I also probably put too much sugar on top, so I will use less next time. Thank you for posting the recipe. I'm sorry I was cruel to it. (BTW, the flavor turned out good, though a little sweet.)