Prep 24 hrs
Cook 10 mins
The recipe for this marinade is inspired by the excellent Toronto vegetarian restaurant Fresh, where "even the tofu tastes good" (to quote a dear, dear non-tofu-loving friend), and their cookbook "Fresh at Home". These are delicious and you can serve them with salad, over rice, or in a burger or wrap. Overnight marinating time included in prep time.
- 250 g extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup tamari
- 2 cups water
- Slice the tofu block into steak-sized rectangles.
- Arrange tofu slices in a shallow dish so they overlap as little as possible.
- Combine other ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour over tofu steaks. If there isn't enough liquid to cover the steaks, add some more water and swish it around a bit until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight (or as long as you've got).
- Cook marinated tofu steaks on grill or in non-stick skillet.
- Give it a few minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.