Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is very old from a restaurant I use to frequent in Rhode Island, The Helm.
- 1 lb small whole mushroom
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 quart water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Dissolve 1 tablespoons salt in water;
- Add mushrooms, soaking for 10 minutes.
- Drain mushrooms and discard liquid.
- In saucepan, combine salad oil, vinegar, onion, peppercorns, bay leaf, 1 teaspoons salt, and red pepper; Add mushrooms.
- Bring to boil, simmering for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Cool completely.
- Place in glass bowl or jar and place in refrigerate overnight to blend spices.