Recipe by auntchelle
A simple side salad where the cucumbers retain some crispness. Almost pickled, I guess. A mandolin makes short work of slicing the cucumber. Times include all sitting, cooling and marinating needed.
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 90 g sugar
- 175 ml dry cider
- 15 ml cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Thinly slice the cucumbers. Place in a colander, sprinkling with the salt between each layer. Place colander over a bowl and leave to drain for 1 hour.
- Under cold running water, rinse the cucumber to remove all the salt. Pat dry on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Add the sugar, cider and the vinegar to a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Place cucumber slices in a bowl and pour over the cooled cider mixture. Leave to marinate for 2 hours.
- Drain the cucumbers and sprinkle with the dill and pepper (to taste). Mix well then transfer to a serving dish. Chill until serving time.