Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 13 mins
Cook 3 hrs 20 mins
A simple side salad where the cucumbers retain some crispness. Almost pickled, I guess. A mandolin makes short work of slicing the cucumber. Times include all sitting, cooling and marinating needed.
- Thinly slice the cucumbers. Place in a colander, sprinkling with the salt between each layer. Place colander over a bowl and leave to drain for 1 hour.
- Under cold running water, rinse the cucumber to remove all the salt. Pat dry on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Add the sugar, cider and the vinegar to a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Place cucumber slices in a bowl and pour over the cooled cider mixture. Leave to marinate for 2 hours.
- Drain the cucumbers and sprinkle with the dill and pepper (to taste). Mix well then transfer to a serving dish. Chill until serving time.
I made this, using cider vinegar and it is good! Thank you Mischka!
this is my dad's favourite thing. He makes it with ordinary vinegar, but I like it with cider. sometimes he would dice a small onion in it. He ate it with stews, steak, chops, almost anything :) a staple in his fridge.