1/1 Photo of Maria's Taco Xpress Pollo Guisado
1 hr 10 mins
I got this from Guy Fieri's cookbook, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Maria's Taco Xpress is a South Austin institution and it's fast food, Texas style. The locals rave about the food. Guy says the pollo guisado is a little bit sweet, spicy, tender, and crazy good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (or your choice of cut)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more
- kosher salt, to taste
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup canned chipotle chile in adobo
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced)
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (plus more to taste)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 large onion, diced
- taco shell (optional)
- shredded lettuce (optional)
- diced tomato (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1Put the chicken in a saucepan with salted water to just cover. Bring to a simmer and cook until just cooked through, about 25 minutes. Let cool, then shred the chicken.
- 2Place the tomatoes, chipotle sauce, cumin, garlic powder, 3/4 teaspoons pepper, 3/4 teaspoons salt, and 1 cup water in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- 3Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until the onion is golden brown, about 7-10 minutes.
- 4Add the chipotle mixture and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken and simmer unil the sauce thickens and the chicken is tender, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Serve the pollo guisado in crisp taco shells with shredded lettuce, diced tomato and shredded Cheddar cheese. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maria's Taco Xpress Pollo Guisado
Serving Size: 1 (1592 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.3
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 188.8 mg
- Sodium 530.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 46.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo