2 hrs 20 mins
Let the good times roll! This is a traditional cake for Mardi Gras breakfast or brunch. It's good luck to find the plastic baby.
My Private Note
nine x ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2-1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 6 cups flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2-1 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup sugar, colored (1/3 each of yellow, purple and green)
- 1For Cake: Melt 1 stick butter, milk, 1/3 cup sugar and salt.
- 2Cool to lukewarm.
- 3Using a large mixing bowl, combine 2 T sugar, yeast and water.
- 4Let stand until foaming, about 5-10 minutes.
- 5Beat 4 eggs into the yeast mixture.
- 6Add the milk mixture and the lemon and orange rinds.
- 7Stir in the flour, about a 1/2 cup at a time.
- 8(Save out a cup of flour for putting down on the surface you're going to knead your dough on.) Knead dough until smooth; 5 to 10 minutes.
- 9Place in big, mixing bowl that's been greased with 1 T butter.
- 10Turn dough to grease the top then cover and let rise until doubled.
- 11For the filling:Mix the 1/2 cup brown sugar and 3/4 cup granulated sugar and the cinnamon.
- 12For the topping: Using food coloring, tint 1 cup sugar Mardi Gras colors (1/3 cup each of yellow, purple and green. You can make purple using equal amounts of red and blue food coloring.) You'll be sprinkling this on later.
- 13When the dough has doubled, punch it down and divide in half.
- 14Roll half into a 30x15" rectangle.
- 15Brush with half of melted stick of butter.
- 16Cut into 3 long strips.
- 17Sprinkle half of the filling on the strips, leaving the last 1" strip (plain) for sealing.
- 18Fold each strip lengthwise toward the center; seal.
- 19Braid the strips into a closed circle.
- 20Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- 21Place each cake on a large baking sheet and cover with a damp kitchen towel.
- 22Let rise until doubled.
- 23Brush each cake with beaten egg.
- 24Sprinkle tops with colored sugars in a creative, criss-cross fashion.
- 25Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 20 minutes.
- 26Remove from pan while still hot.
- 27Place a plastic baby in each cake from below.
- 28Wrap cakes tightly in plastic.
- 29Can be frozen.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mardi Gras King Cake
Serving Size: 1 (2079 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3550.3
- Calories from Fat 995
- Total Fat 110.6 g
- Saturated Fat 64.1 g
- Cholesterol 781.2 mg
- Sodium 3300.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 579.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 289.5 g
- Protein 64.6 g