Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Southern Living.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate square
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan.
- Beat butter and 1/2 cup shortening together until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar; beat at medium speed for 5-7 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, and beat just until the yellow disappears. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternating with milk; mixing at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Combine chocolate and 1 tablespoon shortening in a small saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until butter melts.
- Remove 2 cups batter and add chocolate mixture, stirring until blended. Pour 1/3 of remaining plain batter into the tube pan; top with 1/2 of the chocolate batter.
- Repeat layers, ending with a plain batter layer.
- Gently swirl with a knife to marble the batter, and sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes before removing and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.