Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
An easy custard pie lightly flavored with maple. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Baking time is approximate.
- 1 pie crust (either storebought or your own recipe)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons maple sugar (or Faux Maple Sugar)
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Line a pie pan with pastry and chill.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Beat eggs lightly and add maple sugar.
- Heat milk in a double boiler, add nutmeg and salt and pour slowly on the egg/sugar mixture.
- Strain and add vanilla.
- Pour into pastry lined pan and bake until the edge of the crust is lightly browned.
- Reduce the heat to 350F and bake until a knife inserted in the filling comes out clean.