1 hr 10 mins
I found this recipe in Cook's Country magazine. They did a taste test on frozen waffles and it turned out that EGGO Homestyle waffles were the best out of eight brands that they tasted. Depending on the size and shape of your waffles, you will need 6 to 8. Don't use Belgian style because they are too thick for this recipe. You can double the recipe and use a 9 X 13-inch baking dish. Time does not include refrigerating one hour or overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 350°.
- 2Arrange waffles in single layer on baking sheet.
- 3Bake until crisp, about 10-minutes per side.
- 4Brown sausage in non-stick skillet over medium heat, breaking it apart with spoon, 8-10 minutes.
- 5Drain on paper towel-lined plate.
- 6Butter 8-inch square baking dish.
- 7Add half of waffles in single layer. (It's ok to break some to fit into corners if needed).
- 8Add half of sausage and 1/2 cup cheese.
- 9Repeat layering of waffles, sausage, and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- 10Whisk eggs, milk, maple syrup, salt, and pepper in medium bowl until combined.
- 11Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole.
- 12Cover with plastic wrap and place weights on top. (you can put another square baking dish on top and then weight with heavy canned goods or place a couple one pound boxes of sugar on the plastic wrap and top with a cast-iron pan.).
- 13Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 14Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325°.
- 15Let casserole stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- 16Uncover casserole and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over top.
- 17Bake until edges and center are puffed, 45 to 50 minutes.
- 18Cool 5 minutes.
- 19Cut into pieces and serve.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maple Sausage and Waffle Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 250.6
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 220.7 mg
- Sodium 366.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 14.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: