Recipe by Elly in Canada
This maple sauce is served over Jane's Deluxe gingerbread cake. Jane is the owner of a restaurant, Jane’s On The Common,in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I like this sauce served over an old-fashioned cottage pudding or ice cream. Recipe adapted by the Chatelaine Test Kitchen.
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs. While constantly whisking, slowly drizzle in melted butter.
- Whisk in icing sugar until smooth, then maple syrup and rum.
- Pour back into saucepan and set over medium heat. Stir often, just until mixture starts to bubble.
- Immediately pour into a small pitcher.
- Serve over squares of gingerbread.
- Sauce will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 3 days.
- Reheat in a low microwave until warm.