Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
In 'Cake Keeper Cakes' by Lauren Chattman
Top Review by buttercreambarbie
AMAZING. I highly recommend this delicious cake. It is moist, flavorful and has great texture. Don't skip the glaze. It really makes the cake stand out. Everyone who tried this raved about it. I love this book "Cake Keeper Cakes" and think it should be on every baker's bookshelf.
- 1 3⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1 3/4 sticks)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup pecans, toasted, cooled, and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon maple extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Cake: preheat the oven to 325°; grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and dust it with flour; tap out the excess flour.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Combine the eggs, maple extract and vanilla in a glass measuring cup and lightly beat.
- *Throughout the mixing of the batter, stop mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed*.
- Combine the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl; cream with an electric mixer on med-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes; stir in the maple syrup until smooth.
- Decrease mixer speed to med-low; pour the egg mixture into the bowl in a slow stream; mix until incorporated.
- Decrease mixer speed to low; add the flour mixture, 1/2 at a time; after the last addition, mix for 30 seconds.
- Stir in pecans.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake the cake until it is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, invert it onto a wire rack, and then turn it right side up on a rack to cool completely.
- Glaze: combine the glaze ingredients in a bowl; whisk until smooth.
- Move the whisk back and forth across the cake, drizzling it over the top and letting it drip down the sides.
- Let stand until the glaze sets, about 1 hour.
- Slice and serve; store uneaten cake in a cake keeper.