I adapted this recipe from the Maple Leaf Farms web site. OH MY GOSH! This is so delicious. I have served this to people with all different food preferences. Everyone raves! Even friends that swore they didn't like duck were won over by this great recipe. If you are a duck fan already, go to the Maple Leaf Farms site and enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 12 ounces smoked duck, shredded (see my note below)
- 2 tablespoons canned green chilies, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 6 soft flour tortillas
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Personal Note: I live in Mexico - I don't have access to Maple Leaf Farms Smoked Duck, so I had to smoke my own duck breasts. I seasoned them with just a little salt and pepper and slow smoked them until they reached 130 degrees. It is pretty warm here, so it only took a couple of hours. So easy, so good.
- 2Spice Mixture:.
- 3Place spice mixture in a small non-stick frying pan. Place over medium heat. Stir CONSTANTLY to toast spices and release their aroma. Don't let them brown. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- 4Duck Part:.
- 5Heat oil in medium frying pan. When hot but not smoking, add onion and saute, stirring constantly until onion begins to brown lightly. Add garlic and jalapeno and continue stirring until garlic becomes fragrant but does not brown. Add shredded duck and toss to heat and distribute onion, garlic and spices evenly. Add chilies and oregano; toss well. Add lime juice and let cook for 1 minute.
- 6Remove from heat and add sour cream; mix well. Place in a bowl to cool.
- 7Place soft tortillas on worktable in front of you. Spread about 1/2 T. mayonnaise on tortilla, to edges. Spread about 1/6 of the duck mixture on half of the tortilla. Cover with the shredded cheese.
- 8Fold tortilla in half and brush outsides lightly with olive oil. Reserve to a plate; repeat with remaining tortillas.
- 9Heat a large non-stick frying pan until hot and brush with some of the remaining oil. Place 2 quesadillas in pan and fry over medium heat until lightly browned. Turn and repeat on the other side. Drain on paper towels. Keep in warm oven until all quesadillas are done.
- 10Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges, decoratively garnish with Avocado Cream.
- 11Avocado Cream:.
- 12Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until very smooth.
- 13Place in squeeze bottle and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 14Serve with a chopped salad.
- 15Buen Provecho!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maple Leaf Farms Duck Quesadilla With Avocado Cream
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 865.7
- Calories from Fat 628
- Total Fat 69.8 g
- Saturated Fat 20.0 g
- Cholesterol 63.1 mg
- Sodium 944.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 21.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: