Recipe by Redsie
What can be better than apple and cinnamon? Apple, cinnamon and maple syrup! This is a delicious light apple coffee cake.
Top Review by FranBow
Very moist and very tasty. Like other reviewers, I used 2 whole eggs. Also subbed corn syrup for maple syrup as real maple syrup is just too expensive, Hubby said to put in on the "make again" list
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup diced peeled apple
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray a 9-inch Bundt pan with Pam.
- Make cake: in a large bowl and using a whisk, beat together brown sugar, cinnamon, egg, egg whites, applesauce, maple syrup, yogurt, oil and vanilla.
- In another bowl, stir together 2 cups flour, baking powder and baking soda. With a wooden spoon, stir the dry ingredients into the applesauce mixture just until everything is combined.
- In another bowl, toss together apples, sugar and 1 tbsp flour. Stir the mixture into the batter. Pour it into the prepared pan.
- Place the pan in the centre of the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a tester comes out dry.
- Let the pan cool on a wire rack.
- Make icing: in a bowl and using an electric mixer, beat together the icing sugar, syrup and water. Add additional water as needed to achieve spreading consistency. Spread icing over cake.