1/1 Photo of Manly Marzetti
1 hr 20 mins
Tired of the nondescript? The Italian sausage and pepper jack cheese wake up the classic Johnny Marzetti casserole. This has zing, but it is not super spicy. Use your ground venison, no one will ever know it's not regular ground beef. Just what the Hunter ordered: a manly casserole.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb bow tie pasta or 1/2 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 24 ounces beer
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion (peeled and chopped)
- 3 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 lb baby portabella mushrooms (wiped clean and thinly sliced)
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (or ground venison)
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium tomato sauce
- 3/4 lb monterey jack pepper cheese (coarsely shredded)
- 1Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place the farfalle (aka bow ties) into the pot, cook 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
- 2Peel Italian sausage and simmer in 24 ounces of beer for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Drain. Slice into 1/8" slices.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 4Lightly grease 11 x 7 x 2-inch baking dish (or 8x8-inch pan) and set aside.
- 5Heat olive oil in a very large heavy skillet over moderate heat 1 minute.
- 6Add onion and garlic. Stir-fry until limp, about 3 minutes.
- 7Add mushrooms and stir-fry until juices are released and evaporate, about 5 minutes.
- 8Add beef and cook and stir, breaking up clumps, until no longer red, about 5 minutes.
- 9I usually drain the beef mixture in a fine mesh colander due to the volume of high water content onions and mushrooms.
- 10Off heat, mix in tomato sauce, Italian sausage slices and all but 1 cup cheese.
- 11Transfer to baking dish, add bow ties, and toss gently but thoroughly to mix.
- 12Scatter remaining 1 cup cheese on top. (Add grated parmesan cheese if more is needed.).
- 13Bake, uncovered, until browned and bubbling, 35-40 minutes, and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Manly Marzetti
Serving Size: 1 (504 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 851.5
- Calories from Fat 422
- Total Fat 46.9 g
- Saturated Fat 20.6 g
- Cholesterol 172.3 mg
- Sodium 1291.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 52.6 g