Recipe by kzbhansen
This is one of the best manicotti I have had. *Update* for once a month cooking this is perfect.
Top Review by Talon378
Made this last night for a party and it was a HUGE hit. I made one change by replacing the ground beef with italian sausage. Added just the right amount of zing and all five of my friends loved it.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- manicotti, noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste with water, brown sugar, oregano, basil and garlic in a large sauce pan.
- Cover and cook slowly for an hour, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add 1 cup mozzarella cheese into the sauce and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese to the sauce.
- Meanwhile brown beef and onion in a frying pan, separating meat into chunks. Drain and add 1 cup of mozzarella, bread crumbs, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Cook the manicotti for about 4 minutes in hot water; drain.
- Place 1 cup of the sauce in the bottom of 9x13-inch pan and spread evenly.
- Fill manicotti with beef mixture and place on top of the sauce in the pan in 1 even layer.
- Add any leftover beef to the sauce mixture.
- Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
- Leftovers may be frozen in airtight bags then reheated in boiling water or microwave after fully thawing.