Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Nepali Chicken Curried with Mango and Spices
Make and share this Mango Chicken Tarkari recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 cups ripe mangoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- In a non-stick sauté pan, heat two tablespoons of butter.
- Fry the black pepper corns for 30 sec.
- Add turmeric and onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger and cumin powder; stir well for a minute or so.
- Put the mango chunks into the onion mixture; mix well and sauté for five minutes to allow sweating of the mango.
- Add chili paste, salt and pepper; stir thoroughly for the complete incorporation of the ingredients.
- Allow the mango mixture to simmer for another 10 minutes or so.
- Reduce the mixture by half.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a blender for pureeing.
- Puree the mango mixture into a mango sauce.
- In a large bowl, season chicken pieces with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- In a non-stick sauce pan, heat two tablespoons of butter.
- Add chicken mixture and brown well over medium heat for 8-10 minutes until the chicken pieces are almost done.
- To the browned chicken add pureed mango mixture and stir well to coat all the pieces of chicken.
- Lower the heat and allow braising for 10-15 minutes until the chicken pieces are tender and the curry has attained a thick, saucy consistency.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with a tablespoon of chopped cilantro.
- Serve with rice and roti (flat bread).
This was a really delicious supper. Honestly, I wasn' tentirely sure about it, but made it to use up a mango we had. I made a half recipe and it served the 2 of us with a little left over. I made the recipe as is, but was a little heavy handed with the chili paste (I used sambaal oleak) and it had a nice spice to it. I used the immersion blender, so also a plus for not having a lot of cleanup! Thanks for posting.
Great recipe! I threw a handful of cilantro leaves, and a few cloves into the blender along with all the other ingredients. Also added cilantro leaves and lemon juice to the chicken. Fantastic!!
This recipe is flavorful. I substituted onions for onion powder, minced ginger for ginger powder. Next time I will use less cumin as to let the flavor of the mango come through.