Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cold day, time for some chicken soup...It's simmering away, filling the kitchen with such smells and memories. Then I remember mandlen, which are small pieces of dough that go into the soup. Here is a peek into my childhood...
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat eggs and oil together until light yellow.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into bowl.
- Add egg mixture, mixing with a fork until it is too thick for the fork; then continue to knead by hand until smooth.
- Lightly flour work surface. Break off pieces of dough and roll into ropes about pencil thick or just a bit thicker.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut ropes into about 1/2 inch size pieces.*
- Place on sheet. You can fill the sheet but don't let mandlen touch.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown, shaking the pan every five minutes.
- Cool completely before putting away (IF there is any leftovers!). Keep in tightly closed container, in cool dry place.
- Do not refrigerate!
- * Don't worry about being perfect, these are not pastries. They are for eating, not for showing!
- The amount of serving will vary with the thickness and cut size, so the amount I show may not be what you get.