Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Lightly sweet dipping cookie
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Mix flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix oil, eggs, and extracts.
- Add liquid to flour mixture, blending well.
- Turn dough onto floured surface, knead to work in flour.
- Dough will be sticky, but place on parchment-covered baking sheet and spread out with fingers until approx 1" high and 3" across, working into oblong shape Bake 25 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack, cool for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325F degrees.
- Slice log into approximately 15 slices.
- Lay flat and return to oven for 5-7 minutes, until toasted.
- Flip and repeat.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Feel free to add 1/2 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips when kneading dough, or to dip cooled cookies in melted chocolate.
These are very good. I followed the recipe exactly and got 18 slices. Crisp and delicious, the combined almond and vanilla essence gives a disticntive Italian flavour. I found it easier to form the first log with wet hands and had no problems in transferring the baked log or in cutting the slices.