Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
a la Rachael Ray-- Manchego cheese, from Spain, can be found at Trader Joe's among other markets. These are pretty darned good... I can envision sauteed leeks in the mix as well.
- 4 lbs baby red potatoes or 4 lbs baby yukon gold potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 3⁄4-1 cup milk or 3⁄4-1 cup cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded manchego cheese, about 3/4 to 1 pound of cheese
- black pepper
- Halve large potatoes, small ones can be left whole.
- Place potatoes in a deep pot, cover with water. Place a lid on potatoes and bring them up to a boil.
- Uncover, salt the water and cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and add back to the hot pot. Add butter, milk or cream and cheese and smash the potatoes to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Mmmm... A very delectable mashed potatoes when you want to impress even if it's just yourself. Thank you.
These were really yummy. They are the way I usually make mashed potatoes, except with the addition of the manchego cheese, which made them even more flavorful. I might not run out and buy manchego to make these potatoes, but if you already have some on hand that you are looking to use (as I often do), then this is a great recipe for that purpose. Thanks!
You're right. They are pretty darned good. Who doesn't love mashed potatoes? These are even better with the addition of manchego cheese.