Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄2 lb roasted ancho chile
- 2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 lb roma tomato
- 3 garlic cloves, roasted and peeled
- 1 3⁄4 cups fresh pineapple, diced
- 1⁄2 lb banana
- 1 large green apple, cored, peeled, and chopped (use a good flavored apple such as Pippin or Granny Smith)
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon (or 3 teaspoons canela)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Place tomatoes under broiler for 4 minutes--they will blacken and look not too appetizing.
- Put all ingredients except oil into blender or food processor and puree.
- Add liquid if blender balks.
- Heat pot with oil over high heat.
- Watch carefully for smoke--not a desired result.
- Cook liquid ingredients over high heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently.